Welp, here it is, 2016 already! I'm now 45 years old (doesn't feel any different from 44. Or 43. Or any of those other post-40 years.) Was thinking of posting an end of 2015 entry, then saw gordon_r_d's meme on 2015. So I've decided to use it as my guide. Here goes!
1. What did you do in 2015 that you'd never done before?
Visited Scotland & Wales! Travelled abroad with my mother & sister!
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't do resolutions. Probably should, but I don't.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Heh heh - not for 2015. But just yesterday, my cousin Deanna had a little boy.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Sadly, two of my former students died this past year. One of suicide, the other in a car/bike accident (he was on the bike). That doesn't need to happen anymore.
5. What countries did you visit?
England, Wales, and Scotland. Whee!
6. What would you like to have in 2016 that you lacked in 2015?
It's the opposite - I want to have less procrastination than I had in 2015. I seem to be getting better & better at procrastination!
7. What dates from 2015 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I'm horrible about actual dates - ask my history teachers. But the summer of 2015 when mom, Amy, and I went to Great Britain will remain with me forever. :-)
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I finally got under 200lbs! OK, so it was only for a day, but this year, by golly, it's going to become more often!
9. What was your biggest failure?
I'm fortunate in that my failures, as far as I could tell, are minor. Not keeping up to date with the "family spreadsheet" that mom, Amy, and I keep for weight loss. Procrastinating on grading. Spending a wee bit more than I probably should (though I am independently wealthy... Heh.)
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Not really. Here's hoping 2016 is illness & injury free too!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Heh - the "new" cell phone for mom for Christmas. She's really been enjoying it. I'm also pleased that I subscribed to Big Finish's 2020 subscription when it first came out. (I think they're offering it again for a short while). So I'm good for Doc5, 6 & 7 stories till 2020. Here's hoping the boys are able to continue to make the audios!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
The Supreme Court when they put the "gay marriage" issue to rest - and in the right way!
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The GOP. My grandfather would turn over in his grave if (a) he knew and (b) the supernatural existed.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Stuff for Trina, my trip to Britain, mortgage.
15. What are you really, really, really excited about?
Hmm, good question. I may get back to you on this.
16. What song will always remind you of 2015?
Another good question. I don't actually think that songs make me think of times as much as places.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder
Probably the same, maybe on the happier side of it.
b) Bigger or smaller?
Slightly smaller with plans to go even smaller than that!
c) richer or poorer?
Moneywise: Poorer, but only because I'm not quite recovered from the Britain trip. Will be soon, however! Then I'll be richer.
Everythingelsewise: Richer. :-)
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Reading & being creative. Writing, coloring, building robots, etc. If I did resolutions, that would probably be one.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Procrastinate. (Hmm, I sense a theme here!)
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Guess this meme originated before the Christmas season. I spent it with mom, dad, and Amy. Was a blast, as always. Amy got home safe und sound.
21. What was your favourite month of 2015?
December and June. December for Christmas et al and June for Britain.
22. Did you fall in love in 2015?
Yeah, fell in love with Cardiff. :-)
23. What was your favourite TV program?
Doctor Who. Capaldi is just kicking ass right, left, and center! :-)
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Hate is such a strong term. Probably hate those who stir up hate in others (I'm looking at you, Trump!)
25. What was the best book you read?
The Steerswoman by Rosemary Kirstein because it got me hooked into the series. There were quite a few others, and I hope to post a 2015 reads list before too long.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Hmm, that will take a bit of thinking. Maybe 2Cellos. I also want to do a 2015 music list as well.
27. What did you want and get?
I wanted lots & got most of it. That's the "trouble" with being independently wealthy - I want, I get. Heh.
28. What did you want and not get?
29. What was your favourite film of this year?
I didn't really watch a lot of movies in 2015. I can't even say The Force Awakens, because we watched it yesterday, in 2016. Maybe Song of the Sea.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Lordy, that was over a year ago now! ;-) On the first day of 2015, I turned 44. My sister was home and we had pork & kraut and they got me nifty gifts (including a question-mark handeled umbrella from Amy). Then we took Amy to the airport. Just a few days ago, I turned 45. My sister was home and we had pork & kraut and they got me nifty gifts. Then we took Amy to the airport. (Deja vu!)
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
In that one couldn't even measure it? Less procrastination by me.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2015?
Frumpy & comfortable.
33. What kept you sane?
Family, friends, a great job, fun co-workers, nifty students, kitties, and all the fun toys & shit that I have.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
As always, Sylvester McCoy.
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
That gay marriage is now legal on my country. Woohoo! It's a small step in progressiveness, but an important one!
36. Who did you miss?
I haven't seen judiang and elsaf enough. I always miss Amy, especially after we part again. When I'm oot & aboot, I miss my kitties.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
Haven't met too many new folks. Guess I could say my new co-workers are wonderful folks, and the people I meet at FreethoughtDayton.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2015.
It's the same lesson I learn every year, but in light of the deaths of my former students: enjoy having one more day above the roses.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"And I said to myself, what a wonderful world!"